Adam and I live together in a moderately sized condo that he and his brother bought together about three years ago. It has never been a typical bachelor pad (you know, mismatched decor, messy, etc.) but every place could use a little sprucing here and there. Once his brother moved out and I moved in, we made a few changes... new bedding in our bedroom, new shower curtain and rugs in our bathroom, new curtains in the spare bedroom, that sort of thing. We've also moved some furniture around so that the desks are in our loft and not in the bedroom (I like having separate "work" and "sleep" spaces). Now we're at the point of painting.
I've always thought that one of the biggest differences between living in an apartment and owning a house was the freedom to personalize things, and there's just something about painting that really makes a house feel like a home. My main focus at the moment is our master bedroom and bathroom, but I'd like to do the guest bed and bath as well, if we can fit it into our budget. Adam's brother painted the loft (a nice, neutral taupe) last year before he moved out, so if we do all four of the rooms I just mentioned, our entire upstairs would be complete. The downstairs is basically a great room (living, dining, kitchen), so that's a large undertaking for some other time.
Our first step was consulting Adam's mom, who is an interior designer. She doesn't really know what our decor looks like so she was hesitant to recommend colors, but did say the only paint she trusts is Behr. So step two was to venture out to Home Depot this morning to pick out color swatches. Turns out, deciding on colors was easier than I thought it would be. I originally had my heart set on a light blue/green for our bathroom but Adam didn't like it as much as a neutral, so we decided on "Castle Stone" for our master bath and then "April Mist" will be in the guest bath. Both bathrooms currently have blue/green decor, but ultimately the "Castle Stone" shade will be nice if we decide to change the decor and it will be better in the long term when we eventually sell the house. Still, I wanted a little bit of color, and a guest bathroom is easier to "fix" later, if need be. For our bedroom, we've decided to go with "Wooden Swing". It'll be a nice contrast to our mahogany furniture, crimson bedding, and cream colored curtains, and again, neutral enough as not to impair future home value. Finally, we're going with "Creek Bend" for the guest bedroom, which has black bedding, red curtains, and my old white furniture. I never thought I would like gray in a room, but I'm really excited to see how it'll turn out, especially since this will be quite different from the rest of our decor.
So I have no idea when we will actually start these projects, but hopefully all of this will get done sometime over the summer. No doubt I will take some "before" and "after" pictures so all of you may see the transformation. In the meantime, I'd love to hear about any creative home improvement projects you have planned or have completed and any ideas/suggestions/expertise you may have to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment