Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The dress...

Ok. I'll admit it. I can't WAIT to go wedding dress shopping. Yes, my actual wedding is still a couple years away and no, Adam and I haven't even picked a venue or anything like that yet, but it's hard to resist the siren call of finding THE DRESS. I don't think this is atypical of newly engaged women; in fact, I think most girls (engaged or single) would be lying if they said they hadn't given much thought to what they want to look like on their big day. And I think if you asked most women what they want to look like in their gown, I think most of them would say something along the lines of: I want to look "like a princess". Of course this means different things to different women, but one of the best things about getting married nowadays is that anything goes, and I think most retailers have finally started to realize that. Anyone who's ever seen TLC's show "Say Yes to the Dress" (come on, you know you have), knows that you can find traditional gowns, sexy gowns, gowns in different colors (pink, red, black, you name it), etc. that can fit any personality. So one of the first things most women ask themselves when planning a wedding is, what kind of bride do I want to be? For me, feeling "like a princess" on my big day means feeling beautiful and comfortable in my gown so I can focus on my commitment to Adam and having fun with my family and friends. After spending the past couple of months looking at dresses online, I've found a few that I like that will serve as a good starting point for when I finally do go to some stores and start trying on (probably sometime this fall/winter after we settle on a location)...

This first dress is the first one that made me think, I really love that dress:


Photo courtesy of David's Bridal

This is a traditional a-line shape with a slight sweetheart neckline and "pick-ups" (aka, folds and pleating around the bottom). I like the shape and the way the pick-ups give it interesting detailing without too much flash. I also like that it doesn't have a train, which would be more practical for an outdoor wedding. I agree with my best friend that a simple champagne colored sash would be less "distracting" than the bright color (which would match the maids). My biggest concern with this dress is that even though an a-line cut is supposedly universally figure flattering, I'm worried the pick-ups add too much pouf for a girl like myself with hips and a butt.

This second dress might be a better solution to my concern:

Photo courtesy of Ella Bridal

Same a-line cut, same pick-ups around the bottom, same corset back (which you couldn't see on the first dress, but I definitely love a corset rather than a plain zip-up), same belted waist. This dress, however, has this beautiful (figure-flattering) ruching around the bodice, and a slightly slimmer silhouette.

Or, I could go with something like this:

Photo courtesy of David's Bridal

This dress has a "mermaid" (aka, "fit and flare") cut that is defined by a slim silhouette through the waist and hips and then it flares at the bottom for a more curve-hugging/curve-defining fit. I'll admit I am a little wary of this cut... the experts say that it's perfect for curvier girls such as myself to enhance curves and also for thinner girls that want to create curves, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in how I look to pull this off. That being said, I really love this dress. It's very similar to the Ella dress, and I like the belt that gives it some sparkle.

The last dress that has pick-ups is similar to all of the one's above except in one major way: this one is organza.

Photo courtesy of David's Bridal

Unlike the other three, which are made from heavier satins/taffetas, I love how this organza dress looks so soft, feminine, and floaty. I can't help but wonder if it'd be more comfortable and appropriate for an outdoor spring wedding.

Going back to ruching in the bodice, I do have a couple dresses I like that have slightly slimmer bottoms than those with the pick-ups. I love the simple elegance of these dresses, but my main concern with these is that they're maybe a little too plain, especially when viewed from the back. Something else to consider with these is that both are champagne, not pure white... would that work better for someone who's fair-skinned like myself? It's hard to say.

Dress 1:

Photo courtesy of Alfred Angelo

Dress 2:

Photo courtesy of Essence of Australia

What do we think?

Lastly, going back to the softness of the organza dress, I've found a couple dresses that are looser, flowy, and a little more relaxed than all the one's above. There's definitely something appealing about these, which look so soft and so comfortable.

Dress 1:

Photo courtesy of David's Bridal

Dress 2:

Photo courtesy of David's Bridal

So I'd say I have my work cut out for me. They say that, just like your fiance, once you find "the one", you'll just know. Since I tend to be indecisive and I really love all of these dresses for different reasons, I'm hoping that's the case. Though it may be a while from now, once I finally find my dress, I'll be sure to let you know what I pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment